Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Beast of Obstinacy

"The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will, and the other from a strong won't." - Henry Ward Beecher

I read this quote today and had to LAUGH! Caleb is so like this lately! He's had his fill of school and no amount of coercing is going to get him to cooperate fully! In fact, tomorrow is going to be his last day instead of finishing off this week. He's reached his max for the year! As far as the obstinacy, I need to do some research on what can help with this. I know much of it at school is just because he wants to be home for the summer, but there is also always a bit of the obstinacy every day. I saw online that one person even calls it 'ODD--Obstinate Dude Disorder'! Again, this made me laugh and perhaps will help me get through it a bit better :)

3 comments:

Hua said...

Hi Jen,

Haha. Funny quote. Great to see you are in a good mood.

I'm Hua, the director of Wellsphere's HealthBlogger Network, a network of over 2,000 of the best health writers on the web (including doctors, nurses, healthy living professionals, and expert patients). I think your blog would be a great addition to the Network, and I'd like to invite you to learn more about it and apply to join at http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger. Once approved by our Chief Medical Officer, your posts will be republished on Wellsphere where they will be available to over 5 million monthly visitors who come to the site looking for health information and support. There’s no cost and no extra work for you! The HealthBlogger page (http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger) provides details about participation, but if you have any questions please feel free to email me at hua@wellsphere.com.

Best,
Hua

Billie said...

Well Obstinate Dude certainly sounds better than Oppositional Defiant!

Jen B said...

I agree! Caleb isn't usually defiant, just obstinate. I truly think it's brain chemistry as I can often find a solution to it at home (lately through vitamin b12). The problem comes at school when I can't be there to help waylay the full fledge episode. Generally, when I see his mood going south, I give him some b12, and it picks back up. I need to see if I can get the doctor to agree to writing a note so that he can get it at school when he melts down.